Career as a Principal Private Secretary in Government Sector
Ms. Anita Sehgal has a long journey of 40 years working with the Government of India. Here, in this chat with Education India, she enumerated the duties of a Senior PPS and also enlightens the students who are preparing for the exams for the post of the PPS.
The duties of a Private Secretary/Personal Assistant/Stenographer include taking dictation in shorthand and its transcription; fixing up appointments, attending telephone calls and to the visitors in a graceful manner; keeping an accurate list of engagements, meetings, etc; keeping a note of movements of
Qualifications of the Private Secretary:
1. He/She must have sound education.
2. He should have a high standard of general knowledge and be well-informed on current affairs.
3. He should have a thorough knowledge of trade or profession.
4. He must have good knowledge of English— both written and spoken. He has to make correspondence, write reports, minutes etc. in English.
5. He must have good communication skills. The secretary has to explain a lot to other persons.
6. He must have a dynamic personality and pleasing behaviour.
7. He should have a sharp memory and must be hard-working.
8. He should have knowledge of office organisation, procedures and rules.
9. He should have knowledge of shorthand and typing, fax and computers, e-mails and intranet as also internet.
10. He should have knowledge of accounts. files.